I slipped and fell on a handicap ramp attached to my Mother house where she is a renter. I injured myself by falling going up the ramp.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Mableton, GA

Asked on 09/10/2012

I slipped and fell on a handicap ramp attached to my Mother house where she is a renter. I injured myself by falling going up the ramp. She has a renter's policy that has Med pay and policy limit of $5k. Who is liable for my medical bills once her policy exceeds the policy limit? Thank you

Answer given on September 10, 2012

If you are injured at another person’s residence, Their renters or homeowner insurance will pay under the medical payments coverage, up to the limit, for your injuries. Under medical payments there is no requirement of negligence.The renters or homeowner policy also includes liability coverage ranging from $50,000 to $500,000 and sometimes higher. This coverage requires negligence on the part of the resident or homeowner. If the ramp was slippery, or something was on the ramp that caused you to fall, there would probably be negligence. The insurance company will review the injury and circumstances around the injury and determine if there was liability or not. If they deny coverage, you can file a suit, but you may not want to do that with your mother. However, if the property owner installed the ramp and it is incorrectly built, the property owner could have negligence. You can file a claim against the property owner for negligence and see how their insurance company respons.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption