i rent my house and have no rental insurance. I tree on the property fell and went thru my 39 foot camper. There was no storm it was rotten.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cleaver, NY

Asked on 08/09/2012

i rent my house and have no rental insurance. I tree on the property fell and went thru my 39 foot camper. There was no storm it was rotten. Does the homeowners insurance have to pay. The landlord will not give me any information.

Answer given on August 10, 2012

If a tree falls on your vehicle or residence, this is often considered an act of nature and the owner of the property may not be legally liable for the damages. If they knew the tree was sick or rotten, or if you had advised them of the same, then there could be a liability issue.If you have insurance on the camper for comprehensive coverage, then you should file a claim with your insurance company. They will pay for the repairs, less your deductible. They will investigate and if they determine the landlord is responsible they will contact them for reimbursement through their insurance. This way you do not have to deal with your landlord regarding this issue.If you file a claim it will not affect your insurance rates on the camper. This type of claim does not affect rates for insurance. Let your insurance company handle this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption