I purchased the property next door to my home, it has a garage on the property, do I need to buy a separate policy?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Girard, OH

Asked on 11/17/2011

I purchased the property next door to my home, it has a garage on the property, do I need to buy a separate policy? NULL

Answer given on November 18, 2011

If the property you purchased has a separate address from your property which is next door, then a separate insurance policy will be needed if you want to insure the garage on that property. You are not required to insure the garage, but if there is a fire, or damage to the garage, you would not have any insurance coverage for that garage.Also, if the property has a separate address, you need to talk to your agent or insurance company to see if they require an additional charge to protect you on a liability basis for that location. If it were vacant land you would most likely not need to name the property. However, since there is a structure on that property you will probably need to name the location to be sure you are protected for liability losses. You could dismantle the garage and then the property would be considered vacant, so you wouldn’t have to purchase insurance for the location. You should clarify this with your agent or broker to be sure they agree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption