I purchased a house from a relative who agreed to keep their current homeowner’s insurance in force and they keep paying the prem. I s this acceptable

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Forest Park, GA

Asked on 09/27/2010

I purchased a house from a relative who agreed to keep their current homeowner’s insurance in force and they keep paying the prem. I s this acceptable NULL

Answer given on September 30, 2010

It would depend on one thing… how are you buying the house?

The reason I ask is this:  if you don’t have an insurable interest in the house, the insurer isn’t going to pay you.  So if you have insurance on a property you don’t own, they aren’t going to pay up if it goes up in flames.  And you as the owner, don’t have insurance, so you aren’t going to get paid, either.

If you are buying it on contract, where the original owner still holds the deed until your contract terms have been met, that’s one thing, but on a title transfer sale ( typical ) your relative is throwing away their money, and you don’t have any protection at all on the house.  

Not a good idea.  

Now if OWN the house, and you wan’t to take out a policy, and have them reimburse you for it, that’s ok,  because both would be in your name.  


Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption