I need to file a claim on previously owned house. Damage to property occurred while I still owned property. Septic system failed, had to replace,

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Perry, GA

Asked on 03/17/2016

I need to file a claim on previously owned house. Damage to property occurred while I still owned property. Septic system failed, had to replace, Septic drain field was replace but sprinkler was damaged, had to repair and a brick walk was damaged, had to replace, Electrical to electric gate was damaged had to repair. Gate still does not work, board in gate control shorted out needs to be replaced.Cost was about $17000

Answer given on May 03, 2016

If you had a homeowner claim while you still owned the home, you should file the claim with the insurance company that insured that property at the time of loss. You should discuss the claim with your agent or insurance company as much of this may not be covered by the homeowner insurance policy. The electrical damage may be covered, but the damage to the sprinkler and brick walk may not be covered as many water type damages are not covered under the standard homeowner insurance policy. Of course the deductible will be applied to any covered loss. You should review your policy to see if there are any exclusions to septic related losses and discuss with your agent. You should do this sooner rather than later as a timely report of loss is required under the homeowner insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption