I need to change my Car insurance Broker.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Addisleigh Park, NY

Asked on 11/18/2011

I need to change my Car insurance Broker. I have an insurance Broker whom I have been with for the past 4 years. I have been making a $500+ car insurance every 2 months. One month ago I got a letter from the Department of motor vehicle stating that I was several months laps on my insurance. After doing some digging i found out that my Broker was using an Insurance companies name that went out of business about 2 yrs ago. I am not sure how he was able to do this. I need to know how i can get this matter resolved and to remove my affiliations to another insurance company?

Answer given on November 20, 2011

It sounds like your auto insurance broker may have been working illegally, if he is using an insurance company name that is out of business. If this is the case, you should report the incident to the Department of Insurance. Hopefully you have copies of your checks or payments showing that you paid in good faith. This will help absolve you of any penalty for failure to have valid insurance on your car. You should also contact your Department of Motor Vehicles to explain the situation.You now need to find a new agent or broker to obtain valid insurance on your car. You will most likely have to start from scratch, and not expect any money back from your old broker. You can ask the Dept of Insurance for a reference, or talk to friends or neighbors about their insurance provider. You should talk to more than one agent to be sure you feel comfortable with your choice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption