I live in a condo that is owned by my parents. I don’t pay rent and the title is in their name. Do I need renters insurance or condo insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Rancho Bernardo, CA

Asked on 07/02/2011

I live in a condo that is owned by my parents. I don’t pay rent and the title is in their name. Do I need renters insurance or condo insurance? NULL

Answer given on July 26, 2011

You are not required to purchase renters insurance while living in your parents condo. However, their policy will cover any personal property in the unit that they own, but it will not cover your personal property.Renters insurance is not expensive and it not only covers you for damage to your personal property, it also covers your for liability insurance, in case someone is injured in the unit and they sue you. It is also worldwide insurance so if you were to poke someone in the eye with an umbrella while in London, or your golf ball hit someone on the links, you would be protected. It is very much worth the money.If you do not have an insurance agent, talk to the agent who insures your parents condo. They can most likely help you with the renters insurance. Your auto insurance agent should also be available to help you with renters insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption