I let my friend drive my car and she crashed into another car. am I covered?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Houston, TX

Asked on 11/09/2013

I let my friend drive my car and she crashed into another car. am I covered? I let my friend drive my car and she hit someone in a minor accident. The police gave her a ticket for the accident. I was in the car when it happened. I have full coverage insurance, but dont know if ill be covered. My car looks totaled. The person she hit only has damage on her back end. I don't know what to do.

Answer given on November 10, 2013

In most auto insurance policies there is no limitation of a driver as long as they are licensed and have permission to drive the car. Review your policy and see if there is any restriction for unlisted drivers. If not, report the claim to your insurance company.In an accident, the insurance follows the car, so your insurance company should pay for the damages to the other person’s car, and if any injuries, for the injuries.Since you have full coverage, your insurance policy will pay for your damages, less your deductible. If the car is repairable, then the car will be fixed. If it is a total loss then your insurance company will pay you the actual cash value of the car, again less your deductible.Your rates should not be affected since your friend is not listed on your policy as a driver. However, if they have their own insurance, the rates on their policy can go up since they have a chargeable accident on their record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption