I know of someone that was in a car accident about a year ago. I want to know what type of compensation can be received for pain and suffering.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from East Vineland, NJ

Asked on 01/05/2012

I know of someone that was in a car accident about a year ago. I want to know what type of compensation can be received for pain and suffering. There is a family member of mine that was in a car accident, which was not her fault. There was a car that went through a stop sign, and she ran right into him. Right after the accident, she felt fine. She accepted the "lesser charge" (I'm guessing it was his first offense), and moved on. She purchased a new car, and felt fine. Well, a couple months later is when it hit her. She doesn't want to drive anymore, has nightmears, and lost her job, not due to physical pain, but because of emotional stress. What can she get for pain and suffering? Does she contact insurance company? State is NJ..

Answer given on January 07, 2012

If your relative submitted a claim for injury due to the accident she had, and accepted a settlement, it is possible that she signed a release for any future injuries. That could complicate any additional payments for the accident. She may be able to reopen the claim. She should contact the insurance company to see if they are willing to reopen the claim.If she did not make a claim for injuries, then she may now be able to open a claim for bodily injury from the accident. Each state has regulations about how long a bodily injury claim can be submitted after an accident. It is usually between one and three years. Have you relative contact the insurance company and ask the company to open a bodily injury claim. If she has not seen a doctor,she may need to do so, but she should discuss this with the adjuster.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption