I have personal auto, homeowners and umbrella insurance. My husband is an officer of a company with more umbrella insurance through work

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Trumbull, CT

Asked on 06/03/2010

I have personal auto, homeowners and umbrella insurance. My husband is an officer of a company with more umbrella insurance through work Will that policy kick in if we ever exceed the amount of our personal coverage?

Answer given on June 15, 2010

The personal umbrella policy that you have works with your auto and homeowner insurance to provide additional liability protection in the event of a large liability loss.  The auto or homeowner policy liability limits would be used first and then the umbrella policy would respond if necessary.  The policy that your husband has at work is probably a business or commercial policy that protects the company and employees.  However, sometimes a company will add or allow to be added a personal supplement for its employees.  Your husband needs to talk to the company or its agent to see if there is a personal supplement included.

If the business policy includes a personal liability supplement you then need to find out if it is considered an excess policy.  If both policies are considered the primary policy then they will not stack their limits, one on top of the other. Instead, they will work together and pay proportionately on any liability loss.  You need to talk to your insurance agent once you have determined how the policies are written to be sure you have the most protection for the best cost.   You may have duplicate coverage and may decide to cancel one policy, or amend one to be the excess policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption