I have full homeowner insurance with liability coverage. I plan to rent out the home. Do I need to change insurance to land lord insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Swanton, OH

Asked on 04/01/2015

I have full homeowner insurance with liability coverage. I plan to rent out the home. Do I need to change insurance to land lord insurance? NULL

Answer given on April 07, 2015

If you are a homeowner and have decided to start renting out your home, and you will live elsewhere, you do need to change your insurance on the home.The proper insurance for a rented home is a fire dwelling policy. It provides the same coverage on the home as a homeowner policy does, but it only provides contents insurance, if you want it, and for the amount you choose.Normally this would be for a free standing stove, refrigerator and/or a washer and dryer. Those are items that are often left in a rental homeThe insurance coverages on those items do not include theft. The cost of the insurance is usually a little higher than a regular homeowner policy since damages and claims are more likely on rental property. You should also purchase loss of rents coverage in case there is a claim and you cannot rent the home for a period of time. Talk to your insurance agent or company to get a quote on this type of insurance and to discuss various deductible options available.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption