i have been involved in an auto accident i was a passenger my girlfriends insurance co is farmers the person who ran us over his insurance is met life

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Bellevue, NE

Asked on 03/17/2011

i have been involved in an auto accident i was a passenger my girlfriends insurance co is farmers the person who ran us over his insurance is met life is it possible to settle with farmers and wait on met life too settle? i have been in therapy for more than 3 months

Answer given on March 19, 2011

You do have options for your medical bills.  You can file a claim against your girlfriends insurance company, if she has medical payments coverage.  You would be eligible for the limits in that portion of her car insurance.  This is usually excess over other collectible insurance, but it is possible Farmers will pay the limit to you, and expect reimbursement when Met Life settles.

If you have auto insurance, and also have medical payments coverage you can file a claim under that policy.  It too is excess coverage, but again they will most likely help you until the main claim is settled.

Met Life, who is ultimately responsible for your injuries will not pay out for your injuries until all bills are submitted.  This is standard for automobile insurance, even though very inconvenient for you, the claimant.  Insurance companies will not pay partial settlements as they need to know the full amount of the claim, since you may also sue for pain and suffering.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption