I have a MD policy and have a flood loss in Illinois, I want to retain the vehicle they say I cannot. what is the rules for flood loss in Maryland?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Baltimore, MD

Asked on 10/04/2019

I have a MD policy and have a flood loss in Illinois, I want to retain the vehicle they say I cannot. what is the rules for flood loss in Maryland? what are the vehicle flood laws in Maryland? Does the title need to be tagged as a flood car? And can I retain the vehicle.

Answer given on October 15, 2019

If a vehicle suffers flood damage it is most likely a total loss to the vehicle. The damage can develop over time even if it does not show up originally. If you want to keep the vehicle, the best way to do this, is to accept the settlement from your insurance company, which will be the actual cash value of the car, less the comprehensive deductible.  Then ask them for the right to buy the vehicle back as a salvage vehicle. Most insurance companies will allow this.  The car will then be declared a salvage vehicle, and will show that on the official title.  Due to this, you may only be able to purchase liability insurance on the car going forward, so will not be able to obtain comprehensive or collision coverage.  If you shop around you may be able to find some coverage for the car but its value will be reduced in the event of a loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption