I have a full coverage policy with a $500 deductible. My truck was paid off, and was purchased for $49,000 minus(not to include interest)

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Severn, MD

Asked on 11/14/2011

I have a full coverage policy with a $500 deductible. My truck was paid off, and was purchased for $49,000 minus(not to include interest) The truck was totaled, it was in mint condition engine wise and cosmetically. The insurance company did not allow me to speak with their adjuster. When they did assign one to me, the person they assigned left me a message that they were not the person working on my claim. Today, I got an email with an offer of $9113. I don't expect a new ride and I know vehicles depreciate, but I feel they are low balling me on it's value. What can I do? The accident was 2 weeks ago.

Answer given on November 14, 2011

You didn’t mention the year, make or model of your vehicle.  Therefore, we are unable to look up the value of your vehicle.  However, check out our article Car Insurance Process for Your Totaled Car. The information in this article will help you look up the value of your vehicle and to negotiate a better settlement for your vehicle.  If you still feel that the insurance company is still not being fair in settling with you, you can contact your Department of Insurance for the State of Maryland and file a complaint.  Or use the link inside our article to discuss your property damage claim with a lawyer in your area.  Hopefully, the insurance company will see the light. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption