I have (2) 10 acre plots that adjoin each other but are separate tax bills. I farm both. One has my house & barn on it. The other is vacant.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Clermont, FL

Asked on 03/11/2013

I have (2) 10 acre plots that adjoin each other but are separate tax bills. I farm both. One has my house & barn on it. The other is vacant. I have (2) 10 acre plots that adjoin each other but are separate tax bills. I farm both. One has my house & barn on it. The other is vacant. My agent wants me to buy a homeowners policy for the house & barn & a separate commercial policy for the vacant 10 acres & farm machinery. Isn't there a policy that will cover all of this?

Answer given on March 27, 2013

If you have two properties and one is vacant, there is no charge for the vacant land, whether it is adjacent to your property or not. If the second property is farmed, that is not considered vacant property, but farm land.Some insurance companies can write a farmowner’s policy to cover your residence, farm buildings, equipment and liability for the farmland. It is possible that your insurance company does not offer coverage for farmland, and a separate commercial policy is needed for the separate farmland.Contact another insurance agent or two to see if they have access to a company that will write a farmowner’s policy. The coverage is similar to the homeowners policy for the home and contents, but extends liability to farmland as well as covering the farm equipment and any outbuildings. The cost is a little more than the homeowner policy since there is more exposure to loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption