I had a hail claim

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Burlington, CO

Asked on 08/31/2019

I had a hail claim hail claim took to a body shop estimate was $10300.00 the claim adjuster claimed that the pictures was blurry so they sent another adjuster his claim $6600.00 but that is using paint less dent repair we have no dent doctors were I live do I have to take the lower amount

Answer given on September 03, 2019

If your automobile is damaged by hail and there are two estimates that do not include the same damage repair, you are not expected to accept the lower cost estimate. Make sure the second adjuster is aware that the his estimate does not include dent repair, only the cost to paint. If the adjuster does not agree to the higher estimate, ask for the supervisor to discuss the difference in the estimates.

You may also want to discuss the estimate with the original body shop and see if they can provide more clear pictures for the adjuster to show the denting in the car.  Perhaps the body shop can talk to the second adjuster to clarify any questions or discrepancies there may be.  Also, make sure the higher estimate does not come close to the actual cash value of the car, which could make the adjuster call the car a total loss. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption