I had a complete loss because of a unknowned caused fire.Bought another property, but can not get homeowners insurance. What can I do ???

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Pulaski, TN

Asked on 10/12/2011

I had a complete loss because of a unknowned caused fire.Bought another property, but can not get homeowners insurance. What can I do ??? NULL

Answer given on October 24, 2011

When you have had a loss on your homeowner insurance, especially if it is a total loss, many insurance companies will not offer insurance to you for three years. Sometimes the current insurance company will be willing to keep you as a client but it is not guaranteed.If the cause of loss is unknown, this can complicate the issue. You should contact your agent and/or the adjuster to see if they have any information that could help you determine the cause of loss. This could work in your favor while looking for other insurance.If your current insurance company will not write your insurance, you may need to look for a specialty insurance company which specializes in difficult to insure risks. There are independent insurancee agents who have access to these types of insurance companies. You may also be required to accept a higher deductible and possibly a limited policy. Your agent should be able to explain what is available for you. You should only have to use this type of company til the original loss is three years old.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption