I filed a claim after the recent tropical storm in NY and need to have the claim amount adjusted up to match the actual quotes I received for some work

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Eastchester, NY

Asked on 10/04/2011

I filed a claim after the recent tropical storm in NY and need to have the claim amount adjusted up to match the actual quotes I received for some work I have a two part question:1) is it common for a payment to be adjusted up after I deposited a claim check I received? The initial claim underestimated the amount needed to cover a replacement wooden fence and I have reported it to the carrier and I am awaiting their response.2) I paid a deductible, but the cause of the damage was a tree planted and maintained by the village where I live. Can I try to get re-imbursed for my deductible amount?

Answer given on October 07, 2011

It is very common to have the amount of a claim adjusted up after you have received the check. There are times when the adjuster that surveyed the damage did not take into account certain aspects of the repair.  Contact your insurance company and let them know that the estimated damage of the claim is higher.  Get your contractor to write up an estimate for repair (or an updated estimate explaining why it is higher than originally quoted).  Give the adjuster the contractor’s number so they can talk directly to each other in order that he can get a full explanation of the repair cost difference. Most times, if all is in line, a supplemental check will be cut.

Recouping your deductible may be tricky.  Do they own the tree or just maintain it? If there is an association that runs the maintenance of the village, give them a call.  Don’t be surprised if their insurance policy says that the tree falling in a storm is an “Act of God” and therefore they have no liability.  However, if the tree was not in good condition, dead or leaning in any way, you may have a chance.  Better yet, advise your insurance company that you would like to try to get your deductible back and ask that they consider subrogating against the association that maintains or owns the tree. They can let you know about your chances of getting your deductible back. Ask your adjuster to give them a call.       





IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption