i cut a tree down in my backyard and it fell on my building in the back yard. it has aseperate coverage on my policy for approx. 7500 dollars.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Covington, GA

Asked on 04/27/2013

i cut a tree down in my backyard and it fell on my building in the back yard. it has aseperate coverage on my policy for approx. 7500 dollars. i am with state farm ins

Answer given on June 24, 2013

Even if you caused damage to a structure on your property while cutting down a tree, your insurance will cover for the damage to the structure.The policy deductible will apply to the damage. In addition, you will have a claim against your homeowner policy. Make sure that the damage to the building is enough to exceed the deductible, and will exceed any premium increase you may receive due to the claim discount being removed.Get an estimate for the repairs to the building. If it is enough, the call your agent or insurance company to get the claim started. Explain how the damage occurred and that you have gotten an estimate for the damage. The adjuster will then work with you to settle the claim and you will receive a check for the damages, less your deductible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption