I co signed with my granson on a loan to buy a car. the insurance was put in my name, can it be changed to his

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lockwood, NY

Asked on 03/29/2011

I co signed with my granson on a loan to buy a car. the insurance was put in my name, can it be changed to his NULL

Answer given on March 30, 2011

If you co-signed on the loan, then your grandson should also be on the title.  If he is, then the policy can be in his name.  If his name is not on the title, then the insurance must be in your name.  I would suggest you speak with the loan company to be sure he is on title too, so you can resolve the insurance issue.  The loan papers and car title can be different if worked out with the loan company.

It is better that the insurance be in  your grandson’s name, since it will be his liability in the event of a loss.  You do not want to have your assets exposed in case there is a major acccident.  In addition, you may not know who is driving the car, since he may be lending it to friends. 

Check with the insurance agent to be sure they are aware of title so they can write the insurance correctly.  You may need to be listed as an additional insured, but you should be able to avoid this since you are only

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption