I Can’t Find My Dad’s Insurance Policy And Don’t Know What Company He Had It With. What Should I Do?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Without knowing more information, there are several possibilities regarding the status of this policy. Assuming your father is deceased, the policy could have:

1. lapsed and have no value.

2. it could have been cashed in.

3. a death claim could have been paid to the beneficiary.

4. It could have become a paid up policy.

5. The value could have been given to the state in which he resided as unclaimed assets.

In the first three cases, the policy would no longer have any value.

If it became a paid up policy, it could still have value, but with no company name and no policy information, it may be impossible to track down.

The first step would be to carefully check any of his papers for receipts, canceled checks or other clues that would help identify the company. If that fails, you could try sending a letter with his name and address to some of the largest companies and ask if he had a policy with them. During this process, you may receive other suggestions as to how to proceed.

Finally, if it was taken by the state under the escheat law (because the company could no longer find the owner) you should be able to reclaim the money. Check with your state about where to write. Then give his name and address. They will tell you if the state has any money that should have been paid to him.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption