I believe my ex-wife took out several small term life insurance policies on my life.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Neptune, NJ

Asked on 05/30/2010

I believe my ex-wife took out several small term life insurance policies on my life. Some may have been taken during the marriage, some after. I do not want her to benefit from my death. How can I found out and what can be done about it?

Answer given on June 06, 2010

In order to have a life insurance policy on you, payable to her, she must have an insurable interest in you.  In other words, if you owe her alimony, child support, etc. or any fiduciary connection to your ex-wife, she could have a policy on you.  However, she can’t just take one out on you without your consent.  The insured has to sign the policy ( or a legal guardian/parent if the insured is a minor ). 


If you have not signed these policies, you have not consented.  I would ask her for copies of the policy and then talk to the carrier, not the agent who wrote them up.  Even if your ex has an insurable interest in you, you still need to consent to the designation of the beneficiary. 


Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption