I backed up and bumped the car behind me.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Garden Grove, CA

Asked on 04/16/2018

I backed up and bumped the car behind me. there was no body injury, no car damages to mine or the person from behind. Mercury is my auto carrier insurance. according to adjuster damages are over $600.00! no damages or 2nd party never submitted pictures to Farmers adjuster. Farmers is the other party insurance carrier.

Answer given on April 18, 2018

If you backed into someone and saw no damage, but your insurance company has advised the damages are over $600 you need to follow up with your adjuster to see where they got the amount they are showing for the damage to the other car.

In California, the insurance rates can be increased if the damages are over $600-$750, so you need to be sure that the amount of damages are correct, as $600 COULD cause an increase in your rates. If you are not sure, ask the adjuster to send you the back up for the damages to the other car.  If you cannot get that verification, contact the other insurance company and ask them if they have filed a subrogation for those damages.  If there is nothing to substantiate the damages, ask to speak to a supervisor from Mercury to confirm the amount of damage and a copy of the check made out to the other party or the other insurance company

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption