I am visiting my daughter in Washington and back into a pole while driving her car. Do we make a claimon her insurance or mine

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Newcastle, WA

Asked on 04/17/2012

I am visiting my daughter in Washington and back into a pole while driving her car. Do we make a claimon her insurance or mine I live in California and have full coverage insurance on my own car so does my daughter. I dont want thr accident to affect her negatively. How do we handle this situation?

Answer given on April 17, 2012

Auto insurance follows the car. Since the accident happened in your daughter’s car, the claim should be filed under her insurance. Her deductible will apply for repairs to her car. Of course, you can reimburse your daughter for her deductible if you so choose.Since you are not a regular driver of her car, and do not reside in her household, her insurance rates will not be affected by the accident. However, if a police report is filed your insurance rates could be affected, depending upon the amount of damages arise from the accident. Most insurance companies do not charge for an accident if the damages are under $1,000.Your daughter’s insurance company could ask for reimbursement for the loss from your insurance company, but that is not usually done for a minor accident. If they do, you can report to your insurance company to resolve the incident between the two insurance companies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption