I am selling my home and upon inspection was told 2 shower pans are leaking. It brought down the value of my home and closing in 10 days. How do i mak

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Alpharetta, GA

Asked on 03/12/2013

I am selling my home and upon inspection was told 2 shower pans are leaking. It brought down the value of my home and closing in 10 days. How do i mak how do i make sure that i get the money from the claim after the home has been sold.

Answer given on March 12, 2013

If you have water damage to your home while you are selling it, the claim will be settled to pay to you since you owned the home at the time of the loss.However, if the buyer wants to know that the repairs are made, they may request that the payment be held in escrow until the repairs are made. The bank lending the money may also want proof of the repairs done before they will close the sale of the home.You need to talk to your insurance company and make sure the claim will be a covered loss. If the damage was over a period of time, they could deny the claim for the water damage. Homeowner insurance covers for “sudden and accidental” losses, and this is something that occurred over a period of time. The adjuster should talk with you to confirm what you will receive as payment for the damage to the shows.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption