I am renting a car abroad. Will my auto insurance cover me on the rental? If not, should I purchase coverage from the rental agency? If so, what kind should I buy?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Syracuse, NY

Asked on 05/10/2010

I am renting a car abroad. Will my auto insurance cover me on the rental? If not, should I purchase coverage from the rental agency? If so, what kind should I buy? NULL

Answer given on May 18, 2010

Most United States-issued auto insurance policies will not cover travel outside of the US, with the exception of Canada and Mexico.  You will need to review your own insurance policy and/or contact your insurance company for the terms which apply to your specific policy. 

You will need to buy the whatever the required type of insurance which is required for where you will be.  Just as each state here has different coverage requirements, when you travel, depending upon where you are, the requirements will be different. 

You should also purchase coverage for the vehicle you’re driving in case it is damaged, liability coverage for damage to people or property caused by you, as well as medical coverage for yourself and the people you travel with, since your US-based health insurance will not cover you abroad.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption