I am at fault in an accident and the other person has no insurance. What do I have to pay?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Los Angeles, CA

Asked on 09/24/2011

I am at fault in an accident and the other person has no insurance. What do I have to pay? I hit a parked car in a parking garage and the driver of that car has no insurance. I do have insurance. Do I have to pay for their repairs?

Answer given on September 25, 2011

If you cause an accident and damage someone else’s car, you are responsible for the damages, whether or not the other person has insurance. While drivers are required to have insurance on cars, or the registration will be cancelled, in this case the other person simply had a parked car. The other car wasn’t even on the street, but in a parking garage. The car doesn’t even have to be registered if it is off the street, so they are still subject to the protection of their car when damaged by someone else.If the damages to the other car, and your car are less than $750, then your insurance company will not surcharge your insurance for the claim. You could try to work out an arrangement for you to pay for the repairs to the other car out of pocket, rather than going through your insurance, if the damages are not too much.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption