How will I be able to pay for this? Will I be taken to court?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Chatsworth, CA

Asked on 02/17/2015

How will I be able to pay for this? Will I be taken to court? I was in a car accident 2 weeks ago, it was a hit and run (I have photo evidence I was hit from the back) but I had alcohol in my system so I was charged with a DUI. I hit 3 parked cars, I only pay for liability, so will my insurance cover the other cars? If so will they charge me for the damages and if I am not able to pay will my insurance sue me? What can I do to prevent going to court or what are my options in resolving this problem?

Answer given on March 07, 2015

If you were in an auto accident and charged with a DUI your insurance rates will go up dramatically, and you could lose your current insurance, even though you were rear ended in a hit and run accident.Your insurance company will pay for the damages to the other car, up to your liability limits. If you do not have enough insurance to pay for all of the damage, you can be held responsible for the remaining damages. Your insurance company will not sue you but the other insurance companies for the other cars can do so. They can set up payments for you to make if you cannot pay the full amount due.Make sure you get your license reinstated temporarily while this is being settled. That way you can continue to drive. You may end up with a restricted license but that is better than a suspended license. If it does get suspended you will probably lose your current insurance and will have to find a new insurance company at a much higher cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption