How should I pay for a neighboring Condos insurance deductible for damages caused by a water leak from my Condo.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Dublin, PA

Asked on 09/28/2015

How should I pay for a neighboring Condos insurance deductible for damages caused by a water leak from my Condo. I own a second floor Condo. There was an incident where the kitchen drain pipe failed and water not only got all over my kitchen but also into the Condo unit below mine. I apologized to the downstairs resident and offered to cover her deductible. I haven't paid her yet. She has been making threats to sue me for pain and suffering. Her insurance has already paid for the repairs. I want to refund her insurance deductible, I just want some sort of receipt or proof that the money will settle the matter and she won't go after me for more money. Is there a way to do this properly?

Answer given on September 29, 2015

If you had a leak in your condo unit that caused damage to the other party, you may or may not be held liable. If you were not negligent in anyway as to the cause of the leak, then you are not responsible.If her insurance company has already paid her for the repairs, they may come to you for reimbursement for those repairs. If not, then they do not feel you were responsible for the damages.The other person who is threatening to sue for pain and suffering does not understand insurance. She did not suffer any pain or suffering for a water leak. If she does proceed with a lawsuit, you should contact your insurance company. They will defend you against any such suit, even if it is meritless. They can originally deny the claim, but if a lawsuit is filed, they must defend you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption