How should I deal with the insurance company? Not at fault Accident.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Deming, WA

Asked on 03/15/2012

How should I deal with the insurance company? Not at fault Accident. A woman pulled out in front of me while I was riding my motorcycle. My motorcycle is totaled and I have some damaged gear, but I appear to be just fine with only some aches and bruises. The insurance company is offering to pay off the motorcycle and pay for my gear, but I am concerned that I am getting shortchanged. My wife and I are trying to start a family and the accident involved my pelvis (just above my groin) impacting the handlebars. We are not sure if we should bring this up or how to do so. I do not carry insurance on my motorcycle as it is not required, so we are dealing with th

Answer given on March 15, 2012

If you were in an accident that was not at fault, the insurance company has the responsibility to pay to repair or replace the bike and gear as well as for any injuries to you.I presume the insurance company is aware that you were injured with the aches and bruises. If you are concerned that there may be other injuries, you should tell the adjuster you want to go to a doctor due to the injury to your pelvis area. They should be willing to pay for this doctor visit. Upon receipt of the results of the doctor’s examination, you may need to seek additional compensation from the insurance company.If you are simply sore, and there is no damage to the area, then the insurance company may not be willing to pay any additional money. If you are unable to have relations with your wife, then you may be entitled to some compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption