how do i get vacant house insurance after my house insurance cancelled after a break in

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Jamaica, NY

Asked on 02/23/2013

how do i get vacant house insurance after my house insurance cancelled after a break in landlord insurance cancelled due to a break in. how do i get vacancy insurance until house is repaired

Answer given on February 25, 2013

It will be very difficult to obtain insurance on a vacant house with a recent claim and the fact that you were non renewed.There are specialty insurance companies who can write this type of insurance, but they will want to see the repairs done on the home in a very short time frame. They may give you 30 days, depending upon the damage done by the brekin.The prior insurance company should have paid for the damages to the home, less your deductible, unless you were in violation of the vacancy clause under their policy. If you have been paid, then you should be able to make the repairs quickly.Contact an independent insurance agent. They represent specialty insurance companies which will write the insurance you need. Their policy will probably have a high deductible and they will probably add a surcharge for the vacancy issue. Once the home is occupied, they should be willing to remove the vacancy surcharge. Find out if they will do this before you purchase their policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption