How can I get money to pay towards another vehicle?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Columbus, OH

Asked on 02/23/2012

How can I get money to pay towards another vehicle? While driving under an overpass I drove over a patch of ice and slipped off the highway and totaled my car. My insurance company claimed I was at fault although I was not cited by the officer who took the accident report. My vehicle was totaled out by my insurance company and they gave me an offer lower than the amount left on the loan. Gap insurance will cover the difference. Although the car will be totally paid off it puts me in a bad situation because I am not currently working but was working when I initially took out the loan on the car. They have not offered me anything to help me.

Answer given on February 23, 2012

Auto insurance will pay the actual cash value of your car when involved in a total accident. The gap insurance pays off the remainder of the loan, but the insurance company has no obligation to pay anything further to you for the damages to the car. You should talk to your lender to see if they will work with you for a replacement car. Since you have been a customer, and presuming your payments have always been on time, they may be willing to offer you a loan for a less expensive car.If that does not work you should go to a used car dealer. They often have availability of loans for those who don’t have a current job. The interest rate is usually higher, but you may be able to find an acceptable car at an affordable price. If you get a job you can work on getting another car using the replacement car as the down payment for the new car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption