How can another person insure my car in a different state?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Mansfield, TX

Asked on 03/15/2018

How can another person insure my car in a different state? Hi,I have a car in Texas that I am still making payments on. It will be paid off in about 2 years. I am sending the car to California for my business associate to use. Since the car is not paid off, I can not transfer the title yet. How can he get insurance on the car in his name, if the title is in my name?

Answer given on April 07, 2018

Car insurance needs to be in the name of the registered owner. If you are moving your car to another state, you can insure it in your name, showing the address of where the car will be garaged. You should then list the regular driver of the car on the insurance policy.  You can have the bill sent to you or to someone else if you wish.

Make sure that you purchase the correct insurance on the car.  You indicate your “business associate” is using the car. If they are using the car for personal use, that should be fine. However, if they are using it in business, you may have to get a different auto insurance policy.  Your associate can contact a local auto insurance agent to have them help work out the details of the policy.  

Since the car will be insured in your name, and you own the car, it will be your liability if there is an accident. Make sure you trust the person using your car, as you could be responsible in the event of a major accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption