House in Trust can i get homeowners insurance in my name?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cherry Brook, MA

Asked on 11/29/2011

House in Trust can i get homeowners insurance in my name? house i live in is held by a trust - i am a beneficiary and trustee. i will inherit the house upon my parents death. for the home owners policy. is there any reason i couldn't get the policy in my name to cover the structure, contents and liability? or do i need the policy for the trust and then a separate renters insurance policy? i need the contents and liability, but it seems like a waste of money to duplicate with a renters policy

Answer given on December 01, 2011

If you are owner of the property as part of the trust, and are on the deed and/or loan for the home, you can purchase a homeowner policy in your name that will include coverage on the home, contents and liability. The trust should be added as an additional insured on the policy since it too is on title.If the title of the home is in your parents’ name, then the policy should be written in their name with, again, the trust as additional insured. The policy may have to be written as a rental property and then you would need to get a renters policy for your personal property and liability protection.I recommend that you speak with your agent about the issues. Some insurance companies are less stringent on writing a homeowner policy, if you are a family member and beneficiary of a trust and would be willing to do a homeowner policy.You can also discuss everything with your parents and see if you can be added to the title so you can purchase a homeowner policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption