my vehicle was parked on my landlords property and was destroyed by an arson. Can I make a claim under their homeowners insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Galveston, TX

Asked on 07/06/2017

my vehicle was parked on my landlords property and was destroyed by an arson. Can I make a claim under their homeowners insurance? my vehicle was parked next to my apartment on my landlords property and was set ablaze by someone who broke into it.

Answer given on July 08, 2017

When it comes to damage to an auto, the insurance coverage comes only from automobile insurance policies.  The arson damage did not necessarily relate to any negligence by your landlord, so there would be no insurance coverae under his liability insurance. You will need to file a claim with your insurance company under the comprehensive portion of your insurance. There will be a deductible applied, but the deductible for comprehensive coverage is usually much less than the collision deductible.  If you do not have comprehensive coverage, it is still very unlikely that you will have any hope of remibursement from your landlord since almost every property insurance policy excludes damages to automobile, no matter what the cause. You can ask your landlord to check with his insurance company, but if you were to read your homeowner or renter’s policy you would see that automobile damage is excluded from the policy

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption