my home is owned by a trust but we still live in it. how do i get home insured ?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Columbia, NH

Asked on 01/13/2019

my home is owned by a trust but we still live in it. how do i get home insured ? We are the doner in the trust Our daughter is the Trustee of the irrevocable trust. We still live in and maintain the home. How do i get home insurance to protect contents and structures. What name should the policy be written under

Answer given on January 13, 2019

In most cases where a home is in a trust, whether revocable or irrrevocable, you can get a regular homeowner insurance policy in your name. This will cover the home, your personal property, any additional structures and personal liability.  You add the trust as an additional insured to the policy.  There is no charge for this addition.

Check with your insurance agent or insurance company to review the coverages that you are seeking to be sure that the policy is properly written for your needs, and the needs of the trust. The attorney who helped set up the trust can also assist you in the writing of the insurance policy. There should be no problems with the handling of this insurance policy as long as you continue to live in the home. If you should move out the insurance will need to be changed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption