How can I obtain homeowners insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Delair, NJ

Asked on 09/21/2015

How can I obtain homeowners insurance? I currently live in a property owned by a deceased relative. The relative expired in 2008. I have lived in the property and paying the mortgage since 2002. There was no will and no deed transfer. The insurance company is not renewing the policy since the insured does not live at the residence. What should be my next course of action?

Answer given on September 29, 2015

A homeowner policy is written on property that is owner occupied. Since you do not own the property then the property is not eligible for a homeowner policy.The relative has been deceased for a long time and you should have started the process of trying to obtain ownership long ago. However, you need to go to the state to see how you can obtain the property legally.If you lived in the home prior to the death you may have a better chance of obtaining title to the home, but you must be able to prove it. This issue will probably require legal help from an attorney, so you should contact someone for assistance there. Each state has its own rules and laws regarding property. Also, if there are other relatives they may too want to claim ownership of the home. See if the insurance company will give you additional time to settle the estate if you are certain you will be awarded the property. They may agree to do so, since you have been paying the premiums for these seven years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption