I am divorcing my husband. Can my homeowner’s insurance be cancelled if the house is vacant?

If a divorcing or separating couple move out of the house, then there is an issue of a change of status of the home for insurance purposes. If you intend to sell it, and keep it furnished to do so, it is technically unoccupied and not vacant. Most insurance companies give you a specified period of time for the home to be vacant and then may increase the premium, drop vandalism coverage or simply cancel the policy.

→ Read More