Can I get replacement value insurance in Virginia for a home with Knob and Tube wiing

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 22, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Elkton, VA

Asked on 03/22/2015

Can I get replacement value insurance in Virginia for a home with Knob and Tube wiing I am attempting to sell a home currently insured by USAA. The home has knob and tube wiring for some outlets and fixtures (no major appliances)

Answer given on March 22, 2015

In a homeowner insurance policy, each insurance company has its own set of rules and regulations on what they will or will not insure.Older homes with outdated wiring can pose a greater exposure to fire danger amd resulting damage, so many insurance companies are not willing to insure such a home. If there is only a small percentage of the wiring that is out of date, such as your knob and tube wiring, the insurance company may be willing to write the insurance. However, they may require the wiring be updated within a certain time frame, or may require a higher deductible until the work is completed, or both.Talk to the insurance agent or company and see what they will require. Do not try to hide the wiring issue. If they ask about it, be truthful, otherwise you could end up with a claim that is declined due to your failure to disclose the information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption