Home owners to cover a car that was broke into.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Muscle Shoals, AL

Asked on 05/27/2014

Home owners to cover a car that was broke into. My daughter had a friend spend the night last Saturday night sometime during the night somone broke into the care causing damage to the leather seats and broke out the side glass. Her parents wanted to know who our insurance company was...which is you but I didn't tell them. I called our local State Farm and they said they the owner of the car's insurance would be the one to take care of this. That home owners would not. Just wanted to make sure. I don't want to put a claim against our insurance if we don't have to. Please let me know. Thanks Debbie

Answer given on June 24, 2014

Even though your daughter’s friend was spending the night at your home, it was not your responsibility that the car was broken into. You were not negligent in any way that would make you responsible for the loss. It was simply a crime that occurred on your property. Your insurance company is correct to deny the claim.The auto insurance for the friend’s car is who should be contacted for the damages to the car. This is covered under the comprehensive portion of the policy, and there is usually a deductible for this, but also usually lower than the collision deductible. The company will pay for the glass and the damage to the interior of the car. If personal items were stolen from the car, then the friend would need to file a homeowner claim if they feel it is worth it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption