Home claim – will he be covered under a regular home policy.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from East Matunuck, RI

Asked on 06/28/2010

Home claim – will he be covered under a regular home policy. my brother has his house insured as a a single family. He added a second kitchen in the basement and he lives there. He rents the upstairs. He never got the house re-zoned as a two family. If he filed a claim, would his insurance company cover him? Or does he have to have a landlord policy?

Answer given on July 11, 2010

The zoning of a home does not affect homeowner’s insurance.  If your brother lives in the home, and rents a part of it out, it still qualifies for a homeowner policy, so the home would be covered if there is an insurable loss.

The homeowner policy also covers your brother’s personal property in the home.  However, it does not cover the personal property of the people renting the other space.  They need their own insurance to cover their belongings as well as their personal liability.  A renters policy is available to them for this protection and it is very affordable.

It would be best if your brother advises his insurance agent of what he has done, just to be sure there is no special change needed on the homeowner policy. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption