Hello, concern is this-I have insurance on my mothers house, in which my sister and I live, we were living in this house with my mother.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Dallas, TX

Asked on 09/30/2011

Hello, concern is this-I have insurance on my mothers house, in which my sister and I live, we were living in this house with my mother. When she passed in 2000, my sister and I lived and shared the expenses of the home with my mother. Now I am being told that this insurance coverage that my sister and I paid every year is no longer valied, because the contract was in my mothers name. The policy had my mother's name on it and it had "Estate Of" at the end of her name and it was in "C/O" of my name. The problem is this, my sister and I still live in the house and we need to continue to have insurance to protect the house. I am being told that I need to have a "deed" showing that I owned this house in order to continue this

Answer given on October 02, 2011

If a homeowner policy is in the name of an individual, then the policy covers that person and residents of the household. If you added the estate term after your mother’s death you should have made it clear to your agent that your mother had passed away. The mailing address really has no effect on the policy.If the estate has not been settled, and you and your sister are not on title, then the policy may need to be rewritten until the estate is settled. You should talk to your agent and see if the policy can be rewritten to a fire policy as a rental dwelling. It would cover the home in the same manner as before, and there will be limited coverage for the contents of the home. You and your sister may want to purchase a renters policy to protect your personal property.If the estate has settled, you will need to have a new homeowner policy written in the names of you and your sister. It should not be difficult if there are no issues as to the condition or location of the home. Insurance companies are allowed to require a new policy when ownership changes, since they had accepted the original policy based upon the underwriting your mother as their client.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption