Moving from CT to NY: how do I keep low premiums?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Norwalk, CT

Asked on 09/18/2010

Moving from CT to NY: how do I keep low premiums? I'm leaving my job in CT and moving to New York in a month or two (will be self-employed). I'd like a high deductible, low premium plan because I'm young and in pretty good health: I want to be protected against emergencies. It seems like premiums in NY are way higher than in CT, though. One thing I'm thinking about is getting a CT plan and just keeping it in New York. The only downside I can think of is that any doctor I visited would be out-of-network, but even so I think it would be cheaper? I'd like advice on whether or not this is a good idea.

Answer given on September 18, 2010

Also, the links I posted may not work correctly.  Just go to their site and shop around based on the zip codes and your information ( age, etc. ).


There may be another solution for you, but I’m not certain how it will work, so I’ll check into it for you.  If you are married or have an employee, you could set up a 105 plan for your business and possibly domicile it in another state…   that’s where it can get messy.  I’ll get back to you on this option.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption