Have Uninsured cov. Totaled car fault caused by skip & run did not hit me witness to back up story. Insurance doesn’t want to pay? Options?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Hanover, OH

Asked on 07/27/2010

Have Uninsured cov. Totaled car fault caused by skip & run did not hit me witness to back up story. Insurance doesn’t want to pay? Options? I have uninsured auto coverage. Was in a car accident where another car ran me off road into guard rail. Other car did not touch me and then left with no way to identify. Witness saw accident and told police. Police report backs up story. Safe Auto does not want to pay for repairs on auto. Said that since he did not hit car then they do not have to pay. Options?

Answer given on July 29, 2010

Uninsured motorist coverage, for vehicle damage, is intended to protect you when there is a collision involving an uninsured, identifiable driver.  In your case there was no actual collision and the other party is not identifiable, therefore uninsured motorist coverage would not apply to this incident.

If you have collision coverage on your car, the insurance company will pay for the damages to your car, less your deductible.  Since you have a witness and police report, the collision should not be considered a chargeable accident so your insurance rates should not be affected.

If you have injuries, your medical payments coverage would apply.  In addition, the uninsured motorist coverage could apply to the injuries, since there are different requirements for that coverage to respond.  Talk to your insurance agent.  They should be able to assist you in the proper way to report the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption