had an accident while at work driving the work van

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from NULL, NULL

Asked on 01/15/2012

had an accident while at work driving the work van hi I back ended a car during work hours, am I covered by my boss'e insurance? He has said because the accident is my fault he is making me pay off the insurance claim the other car put in which is pretty much ten grand. He is not accepting any responsibility. I thought I was covered under his insurance during work hours whether it was my fault or not. I would appreciate any help u can provide. thankyoumy email address is [email protected] am living in australia in the city adelaide

Answer given on January 16, 2012

Since you live in another country and the accident happened outside of the United States, I can not advise you as the laws may be different outside of the USA.  However, in the USA, commercial insurance would cover the worker or driver which has an accident in a commercial vehicle.  The commercial insurance covers the vehicle and any drivers added to the policy regardless of fault.  That is why some employers request your driving record during the application for employment process to make sure they are hiring a good driver as well as for insurance purposes.  Your employer may be trying to avoid reporting it to his insurance carrier fearing his insurance will go up.  However, requiring you to pay for an accident that is covered by insurance may be less than fair.  The only thing to do at this point is ask the employer has he submitted a claim to his insurance company.  If he says he does not have insurance or that he refuses to do so as he feels it was your fault and you should pay, then you may need a lawyer to step in on your behalf to request the insurance information from your employer.  Needless to say, this will probably affect your future relationship with your employer.  However, it could save you several thousands of dollars.  We hope this helps.        

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption