Flood insurance

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Englewood, FL

Asked on 11/19/2012

Flood insurance Good afternoon I am buying a new home and since it was built in the 80s and hasnt been sold there isnt an elevation certificate. I know from FEMA maps its between 23-26 feet. Its also classified as a level 11ae flood zone. How do I go about getting a quote?

Answer given on November 20, 2012

Flood insurance is administered by FEMA, but is sold through insurance agents. Any insurance agent can help you obtain a quote for flood insurance. Some agents represent insurance companies which write the insurance through a “write your own” program. This means the paper for the policy, as well as issuance and claims handling are done by the insurance company. Others write through FEMA. Either way, the premiums will be the same. You do not need to get multiple quotes. If there is a difference, then there is probably an error by one of the agents.An elevation certificate could help you in rates. There are rates for homes built before the area was mapped for flooding, but if you get an elevation certificate the rates could be lowered. There are various ways to get elevation certificates. Ask your insurance agent for assistance in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption