Family Medical Deductable 300K

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cayce, SC

Asked on 03/24/2016

Family Medical Deductable 300K I had been living with her mother because she is elderly snd in bad health. The house caught on fire and is a total loss. My mother and I escaped the fire but my older sister did not. Allstate is denying payments to me because they say I was not living with my mother although I had no other residence. I suffered severe smoke inhalation and was hospitlized for 5 days. I also lost all my clothes and personal posseccions

Answer given on March 29, 2016

If there has been a fire in your mother’s home, and your personal property was destroyed, the insurance company should pay for your belongings whether they believe you were a resident of the home or not. The homeowner policy provides coverage for other people’s belongings, sometimes with a limit, but would provide some coverage. The deductible on the homeowner policy will apply, but it’s pretty obvious that that will be met due to the damage to the home. Go back to Allstate and ask them again to pay for your personal belongings.The smoke inhalation and hospital bills for you would not be covered. There would have to be negligence on your mother’s part for any bodily injury coverage to apply. Also, since you are a resident of the household, the insurance company would most likely deny any coverage based on that. If you have medical insurance then you should have them cover your injuries and hospital stay. That is what it is intended to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption