Drunk driver

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Skokie, IL

Asked on 02/14/2012

Drunk driver My parked car was hit by a drunk driver. The other driver's insurance company is low balling the total loss and I am out almost $6000. Can I sue the driver for the money that I am lossing out on, my time dealing with all the hassle and looking for the new car and almost $1000 of upgrades I had in my car?

Answer given on February 14, 2012

If your car was totaled by an insured driver, you need to keep working with the insurance company to try to get a fair settlement. If you had upgrades to your car, you need to have proof of the upgrades if you expect the insurance company to pay for them. The fact that you say they were there is not enough to get the insurance company to pay for them.The insurance compnay is going to pay the actual cash value, or Blue Book value of your car. If you can show proof of a higher value for your car, which might be newspaper ads or online ads in your area, you should be able to work out a better settlement for your car. However, if you cannot show proof of the value of your car, you will not be able to get a higher settlement. Just because you veel the car is worth more, does ot make a case with the insurance company.Of course, you can always sue anyone for anything but since they had insurance, it is not likely you can succeed in suing the owner of the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption