does my insurance pay for damages to a car that I hit ?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Barefoot Beach, FL

Asked on 11/26/2012

does my insurance pay for damages to a car that I hit ? I was backing up in a shopping center lot. a car came speeding by. I hit him, scraping my car and causing dents. Does my insurance pay for damages to his car?

Answer given on November 27, 2012

Auto insurance pays for damages you cause due to an accident. This includes backing out of a parking space. You feel the other driver was going too fast, but in most cases, the car that is backing into the traffic lane is found to be at fault.You should report the incident to your insurance agent or company. They will investigate the incident and will settle with the other driver for the damages to their csr. If you have collision insurance you will be covered for your damages, less your deductible. Depending upon the amount of damages involved, your insurance rates may go up. Talk to your agent about this. Usually, if the damages are over $750 you will see an increase in your rates. This usually last for three years. You could choose to pay for the damages to the other car, if you can afford it, but if the damages are too high, you are better off with using your insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption