Does my full coverage on my car cover me if someone else is driving and gets into an accident that is the other persons fault?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Bothell, WA

Asked on 05/07/2012

Does my full coverage on my car cover me if someone else is driving and gets into an accident that is the other persons fault? My son who is not on my insurance was driving my car and was hit by another driver. Will my damage be covered if fault is contested by the other party?

Answer given on May 07, 2012

Even though your son is not listed on your auto policy as a driver, he would be covered in the event of the claim being decided to be your fault, or mutual fault. In auto accidents, the isnurance follows the car, not the driver, so the owner of the car involved in the accident has their insurance company handle the claim. This is presuming that you do not have a restricted policy that only covers drivers that are listed on the policy.Your insurance company may, after the settlement of the claim, contact you about your son. They will ask if he is a resident of the household. If he is, they will want to add him to your policy unless he has his own insurance. If that is the case, then you will need to provide them with the name of the insurance company and policy number. This is pretty standard when an unlisted driver is involved in an accident, regardless of fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption